Get help

Support for those who have been sexually assaulted or raped.

If you have just been raped or sexually assaulted, try to remember that you are not alone and you are not to blame for what has happened. Here are some simple steps you can take to help ensure your safety:


  • Find somewhere you feel safe
  • You might be in shock, so wrap up warm
  • Consider telling someone you trust about what happened. If you don’t feel comfortable telling anyone yet, you can call the Thames Valley Independent Sexual Advisory Service
  • Call 999 if you require urgent medical attention

The Thames Valley service can be contacted by phone or email. Our Freephone telephone service is open from 9:00am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday. If you are unable to reach us, please leave a message, let us know when would be a good and safe time to call, and we will call you back: 0800 221 8186.

Alternatively, you can email us on:

You might also want to consider contacting a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). SARCs provide support to victims of rape or sexual assault – including providing a confidential space for interviews, examinations and collecting evidence. Some may also offer counselling services.

These services are available regardless of whether you feel you want to report to the police. Click here to find information on how to access your nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre.

There are two SARCs in Thames Valley. They can be contacted via:

Thames Valley SARC Slough

Upton Hospital
Church Street

Tel: 0300 130 3036

Thames Valley SARC Bletchley

Sherwood Drive
Milton Keynes

Tel: 0300 130 3036

Both centres have disabled access.

If you are living in Thames Valley and access these SARCs, you should be offered a referral to our service, and a Refuge ISVA will then automatically make contact with you.

If you are considering reporting what happened, or simply want more information about your options, click here to visit the NHS Choices website.